Thursday, January 26, 2017

Sweet Cherry Coke BBQ Sauce

Pin It Now!

Very soon you will be seeing posts using this sauce.  Ribs, Brisket, Pulled Pork and especially these Chicken Wings have all been enhanced sweetly with this sauce.  Often when I host a party I either make two versions (like Wings) or provide at least two choices of sauces...  A HOT Spicy sauce and a sweet sauce.

I love making my own BBQ sauce.  So easy to whip something up special for whatever I am grilling.  I have already posted a Sweet/Heat Bourbon BBQ Sauce, with a rich Earthy spiced flavor... Something for the grown-ups.  I also posted my Hawaiian Sweet BBQ Sauce, a more sweet sauce infused with minced bits of Pineapple with just hints of jalapeno that I made to appeal to my wife and the ladies.

And now I am completing the circle with a much more sweet sauce, this Cherry Coke BBQ Sauce.  And yes, it is indeed made with Cherry Coke (always full strength, never cook with diet sodas, too many questionable chemicals that will alter taste) and to punch up the sweet hints of cherry, I even add a bit of the juice from a jar of Maraschino Cherries..  The Cherry Coke cooks down into a thick syrup, infusing even the few bits of Jalapeno with a sweetness that appeals to the kids at your table.

Like the rest of my BBQ sauces, this is very easy.  The main ingredient is plain old ketchup, just a matter of mixing in a few items and allowing them to simmer to the desired thickness.  The sweetness of the sauce was perfect to pair with the Chicken Wings.  I also made some sweet ribs with a Cherry Coke BBQ glaze (will be posting them soon) with this sauce.  As I have said, I am posting my planned Super Bowl BBQ... a dozen friends and family (and yes several kids that practically licked the ribs of the sauce) and 10 dishes plus condiments, drinks and desserts.  It is soooo easy to make this and adds so much cache bragging rights when you pull out a jar of home made sauce... Especially when it is as good as this...

Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow Recipe.  Nut first, here's a link to the canning supplies I used for this recipe.  Canning is a great investment.  Buy once and you will have a lifetime of inspiration to provide fun and interesting dishes that your family can enjoy not only on the day you make them, but makes the extra work of making your own sauces worth the effort,  The book got me started in making my own sauces.  Has plenty of tried and true tested recipes to get you started and may even inspire you to twist and tweek your own recipes....

   

OK... Like I said, keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe.


OK... Here's what I did...

Sweet Cherry Coke BBQ Sauce in a Crock Pot

Ingredients
  • 2 TBS Olive Oil
  • 1 Medium Sweet Onion Like a Vidalia or Candy Sweet, finely chopped
  • 4 tsp Ginger, finely grated and fresh
  • 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1 TBS Smoked Paprika
  • 1 (12 OZ) Bottle Cherry Coke (NEVER Diet)
  • 1 Cup Marischino Cherry Juice
  • BIG Can (109 Ounces) Tomato Sauce
  • 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 2 TBS Molasses
  • 1 small Jalapeno Pepper (optional) Finely minced, no seeds
  • Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
  • Several pinches of Salt and Pepper to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the onions and cook until soft and translucent.
  2. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
  3. Add the paprika and cook for 1 minute.
  4. Stir in the Cherry Coke and Maraschino Cherry juice and cook until reduced by half.
  5. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, molasses and Jalapeno and cook over low heat until the flavors meld and the sauce reduces, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
  6. Add the lemon juice and zest and season with salt and pepper.
  7. Transfer while HOT to sterilized canning jars and allow to cool.
  8. Refrigerate sealed in jars for up to 6 months. Once opened,use within a couple of weeks.
  9. Serve as you would any BBQ sauce over ribs, in Baked beans or whatever and ENJOY


No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP