Wednesday, October 19, 2016

GO CUBS GO Blue Berry Jell-O Fudge - World Series Snack Food

Pin It Now!

As I am writing this I am basking in the glow of October baseball unlike anything I have ever had in my life.  Last night, my beloved Chicago Cubs won their first post season series in Wrigley Field in over 100 years... Indeed, party like it's 1908!  50 years of being a Cubs fan and I was reduced to a few tears as I watched the celebration.

50 plus years ago I was a wee lad loving the Cubs of the 60's.  Living just under 200 miles away from the friendly confines I even have a few memories of attending some games live!  The line-up included some of the greatest ball players of all time, Ron Santo, Don Kessinger, Randy Hundley, Fergie Jenkins and possibly the greatest player to ever wear the uniform... ERNIE BANKS!

Ernie is one of those rare childhood heroes who never disappointed.  He played to win as much in his declining years as in his glory years.  He set record after record.  His personal life was a shining example of sportsmanship and enthusiasm.  He knew he had fans that read about his every move and he led his life accordingly.  My hero then and still now.

It's time to plan those World Series parties.  I am living in the heart of the American League World Champs of 2015... The Kansas City Royals.  Sadly, last year the Cubs were just a few runs short of a Cubs/Royals series.  Although I would have been just a little torn between who to root root root for (Nah, Cubbie Blue all the way).

This year I have lined up a dozen friends who have promised to cross league lines and cheer on the Cubs... 'Course I have promised a fully catered Game 7 Party.  I would gladly forego that party of the Cubs can win in 4... Dare to dream!

So, I am working out my Blue Food, my Cub (and Ernie) inspired dishes and just general World Series worthy food.

Starting with this Berry Fudge in Cubbie Powder Blue.

I LOVE this recipe.  Honestly, the taste is much too sweet for me.  A single bite is more than enough for me to taste.  But the fudge is popular and if you like your sweets, you will indeed love this.

But the best thing about this fudge is that the color and the flavor is so incredibly easy to make.  In fact, you name the color, you name the flavor and I can easily duplicate the fudge by changing a single ingredient...

Jell-o

Yeap, flavored Jell-o, added to the very very simple base and you have any color, any flavor you like.  I make two versions of this fudge every Christmas (Red Cranberry and Green Lime) for those contrasting colors.

Only 4 total ingredients, take less than 5 minutes to make (plus 3 hours in the fridge, but that time doesn't count).  So, no matter what team you are rooting for, grab your pennant, slip on your favorite jersey and Root Root Root for your home team!


 OK... Here's what I did...

GO CUBS GO
Blue Berry Jell-O Fudge

Ingredients
  • 1 Can (14 OZ) Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 12 Ounces (1 bag) White Chocolate Chips
  • 1 TBS Butter
  • 3 Ounce box of Blue Berry Flavored Jell-o 
Cooking Directions
  1. In a small sauce pan, add the Sweetened condensed milk and the White Chocolate Chips.  Heat over medium heat until the chips have melted, stirring often,
  2. Add the butter and the Jell-o and stir to combine.  Continue to heat until the the butter has melted and merged into the fudge and the color has evenly blended.
  3. Line an 8x8-inch baking dish with foil (make sure the foil hangs over the edges so serve as handles).
  4. Spray lightly with non stick cooking spray.
  5. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan.
  6. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight before cutting.
  7. Serve at a Cubs watch party (optional) and ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP