Sunday, February 9, 2014

Bakeable Fudge Faux OREO COOKIE Pie/Cake Crust - 52 Cakes and Pies at Home

Pin It Now!

There are two key words in the title... "Bakeable" and "Faux".

A little back story, I LOVE the idea of a chocolate crust made from Oreos. Just sounds delicious and sexy!  And honestly, an Oreo Cookie Crust for a cold filling (think banana cream) that does not need to be baked is just fine.  But (at least for me), once I started filling something that needs to be bakes (think cheesecake), my crusts made from Oreos always turns out very crunchy.  Polite way to say Hard as A ROCK.  In the past I may have tried to say I was after a contrast of a crunchy crust and a smooth as silk filling... But I was fooling myself (and rarely fooling friends and family).

So, I decided to make this a project.  I tried several different versions with different additions to make a soft crust that held together and tasted great.  Again, I am not talking about an unbaked pie (banana cream), but I am looking for a soft crust for a baked pie or cake (Cheesecake).

I hit on it.  The trick...

Don't use Oreos.  Quality will show and that is true with Oreos.  They make a great crust for an unbaked pie but there is just no way to get a soft final product.  I came close when I scraped the good stuff out of the center and only used the cookie part.  BUT, that seemed to be a lot of effort and even then, the crust was still just a tad crunchy.

Instead I went cheap... About as cheap as you can get.  Generic Fudge Sandwich Cookies.  Cookies filled with a fudge cream cheese center, less than $2 at a grocery store, you get a big bag (double the number of cookies in an Oreo package).  For whatever reason, the cookies are a bit softer and when baked with butter added the crust holds together perfect and the crust is just as soft as you imagine.

And it turns out to be a PERFECT Crust for a Banana Butterscotch Blondie Cheesecake (click the blue letters for that recipe)


OK... Here's what I did...


Bakeable Fudge Faux OREO COOKIE 
Pie/Cake Crust


Ingredients
  • 20 Generic Fudge Sandwich Cookies
  • 1/2 Stick (4 TBS) Butter, Melted
Cooking Directions
  1. Easiest in a food processor, or put cookies in a ziplock bag and start whacking. Crush cookies into tiny pebbles.
  2. Drizzle in the melted butter while the blades whirl (or add to ziplock bag) and mix until consistency of a wet concrete.
  3. Press into bottom of Springform cake pan or pie pan.
  4. Fill and bake and ENJOY!
I have baked this in a cheesecake for as long as 1 hour 15 minutes at 350 degrees.  Worked great, soft and filled with a chocolate fudge flavor.

And come back next post t see this PERFECT Crust in a WONDERFUL Banana Butterscotch Blondie Cheesecake (click the blue letters for that recipe).  An all new use for those "Gone Bad" over ripe bananas!


******************************************************

This simple recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Cakes and Pies at Home"!

These are the desserts you make for your family.  No fancy amazing wedding cakes, just the rustic beauty of the classics.  From pumpkin pie to cheesecakes to layer cakes, these are what your family craves for dessert.  You may even see a few unusual crusts and frosting ideas to try.

You get the idea. These recipes are simple, delicious and will have your family wanting dessert first...

***********************PINTEREST*********************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP