Saturday, June 29, 2013

Fresh Summer Basil Mint Pesto

Pin It Now!

There are few things in live that compare to truly FRESH Pesto.  Even fewer things that the lion's share of ingredients can come from just 99 cents worth of seeds.

Basil is about the easiest thing for a home gardener to grow.  I can even keep a pot growing in the winter in my windowsill garden.  But in the summer I have several tiny batches of Basil growing.  they fit great around the edges of a container growing tomatoes (stay tuned, I'll share that soon).


Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe...

The mint I tossed in to add a little extra zing.

Mint is also in my garden.  I started last year with a single pot of chocolate mint (doesn't that name just sing???).  Well my pot lasted through several gallons of sweet tea but did not survive the winter... Except it did.

Mint is a weed.  A great weed, but really there is no killing the stuff.  Come spring time the area where I grew my pot of mint last year suddenly has a natural patch of mint growing in between the decorative paving stones.  There is less than an inch of soil between rock and stone.  But, sure enough... plenty of Mint!

A Farmer's work is never done.


OK... Here's what I did...


Fresh Summer Basil Mint Pesto


Ingredients
  • 2 Cups Fresh Basil Leaves, packed
  • 1/4 Cup Fresh Mint leaves, loosely packed
  • 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Rustic chop
  • 2/3 Cup Extra Virgin olive Oil
  • Large Pinch Salt
  • Several turns of a Pepper Grinder
  • 1/2 Cup Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
Cooking Directions
  1. Combine the basil, mint, garlic, and pine nuts in a blender and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
  2. Add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.
  3. Store in the refrigerator in air tight jars or bags. Use fresh within a week
  4. Serve in dozens of ways (makes a great pesto pizza) and ENJOY!

Come back tomorrow and I will tell you all about this home made Basil Margherita Pizza.. Loaded with garlic, cheese and fresh deliciousness!!!

I am including this in a new listing of small batch canning ideas.  Fresh things that you can make in small quantities that will store for awhile and still stay fresh.  Pesto can be frozen, but there is nothing like fresh.. So make enough to make two or three dishes.  Makes the effort MORE than worth it!  Just use it up in a week (or freeze).

*************************************************************************

So,  I am pleased to list this as one of my very favorite Growing list of  "52 Small Batch Canning Ideas"!!!

I love Canning! Love the idea of it, Love having my own Jellies, Pickled produce, Sauces, Chutneys... All those pint, half pint, 4 Ounce jars,,, Even big quart jars of Spaghetti Sauce Lined up in my basement storage shelves.  Small batch means I can usually finish a project in no more than an hour of hands on work and usually less.  Easy DIY Projects that last a month or more... Great ideas for first time canners!

****************************PINTEREST**************************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. yeah, I'm convinced that mint is related to kudzu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to that pesto pizza. My basil fizzled while we were gone. Will have to start over.

    ReplyDelete

FMP