Monday, February 11, 2013

Garlicky Meat Loaf

Pin It Now!

Yet another blast from my past as I move some of my favorite Blog Posts from the old old blog to this new home... For all but a loyal few of you it should be brand new... ENJOY!!!

I got most of this recipe from THE CHEW TV Series.


Halloween goes with Vampires goes with Garlic goes with Carla Hall's Garlicky Meat Loaf!

Today Carla tackles a classic, adds a bit of seasonal humor and a Holiday ingredient.  Lots and lots of garlic! I LOVE IT!

Carla's loaf is a pretty standard recipe, with a couple of exceptions...

Oatmeal replaces bread crumbs.  She runs them through a blender to grind them up a bit.  Then she soaks them in milk to add volume (and I believe to keep the grease from the sausage and hamburger from being absorbed).  You soak the oatmeal in milk for a couple of minutes which puffs the oatmeal dust up perfectly.

There are onions, carrots, horseradish and optional celery (which I added) in the loaf, so plenty of hidden vegetables.  Not exactly Daphne healthy, but anytime you can hide vegetables in something this tasty you are a step ahead.

And speaking of Daphne, the vampire teeth she wore during the group tasting was a pretty odd way to let her off the hook for eating meat today.  I mean she tried a hot dog... Is meatloaf any worse?

But I digress...



I made a few additions to the recipe.  to make it my own

A added a dusting of ground garlic powder on the top before adding the sauce.

I also used a pound of very spicy sausage (recipe calls for 1/2 a pound added to a pound and a half of hamburger.

I added Mustard Horseradish as well

I also used a remote prob meat thermometer that measures the internal temperature of the meat prior while it is cooking.  I cooked until the temp read 160 degrees.  Carla's recipe calls for a 1 hour cook time.  I had formed my loaf pretty thick, so it took almost an hour twenty minutes to cook through.

And the verdict is DELICIOUS!  As good a meat loaf as I have ever had.

the horseradish, BBQ sauce and spicy sausage combines to make a tangy zippy flavorful meatloaf.  Certainly not too spicy, not painful runny eyes heat, but certainly a better meatloaf!

The Oats did indeed make a big difference.  Moist throughout and this morning, when I made my meatloaf sandwich for breakfast, it was just as juicy!



You can find Carla's version of this recipe on The Chew website by clicking HERE.

Here's what I did...


Garlicky Meat Loaf

Ingredients
  • 1/3 Cup Milk
  • 1 Cup Dry Oatmeal, finely ground
  • 1 Pound Ground Beef
  • 1 Pound Spicy Italian Sausage
  • 1 Medium Red Onion, Chopped
  • 1 Medium Carrot, Grated
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 2 TBS Horseradish Mustard
  • 6 Cloves Garllc, Minced
  • Large Pinch Salt
  • Large Pinch Pepper
  • Dusting of Garlic Powder
  • 3/4 Cup You Favorite BBQ Sauce
  • 1 TBS Tabasco
  • 1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a medium bowl, combine milk and oatmeal. Let sit for 2 minutes.
  3. Stir in eggs, horseradish mustard, BBQ Sauce, garlic, salt and pepper.
  4. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, pork, onions and carrots. Gently mix in oatmeal mixture until combined thoroughly.
  5. On a parchment or foil lined sheet pan, shape mixture into a loaf. Score the top diagonally.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes... Add BBQ Sauce glaze if desired.
  7. For BBQ Glaze, combine... 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce, 2 tablespoon roasted garlic, 1 tablespoon tabasco, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt
  8. Combine all ketchup glaze ingredients and slather ketchup glaze on top.
  9. Bake for another 30 minutes or until done.
  10. Serve HOT and ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP