Sunday, October 21, 2012

Biscuits and Gravy and Potatoes and Rosemary AND Rotisserie Chicken

Pin It Now!

Something about a Sunday morning makes me toss out my blogging plans.  And that something is breakfast! I love Sunday morning breakfast.  Curl up with the Sunday paper, the Sunday morning TV shows and a hearty breakfast.  It's the stuff of legends, the stuff of a million diners across the nation...

Rich, thick milk/chicken gravy poured over just about anything!

And I even get to show a use for a part of the beloved store bought, fully cooked, fully seasoned Rotisserie Chicken I have been cooking with so much lately (see my page of "52 Uses for a Rotisserie Chicken" for proof of that).

Anyway, when you buy one of those blessed birds, in the bottom are the fat drippings, sometimes they congeal into a jelly like substance, if you have a fresh hot bird they are still liquid and mostly clear (as in the photo).  Not one to throw away something great, I usually save the jelly and toss it in my stock pot when I make Chicken Stock.   But this morning I decided to use the chicken fat in the bottom of the packaging as a base for my roux, which is a base for my gravy.

I even rescued one of the chicken legs to add some actual chicken meat to the gravy.  I say rescued, since 9 out of 10 times I usually just twist the legs off as I am cooking something else and give myself a chef's reward.

But for this, the meat you can slice from a chicken leg is exactly the amount i wanted for my gravy!

 OK, now this post is all about the gravy.  The potatoes I simply added a few TBS of oil in the bottom of a frying pan, sliced up 2 large russet potatoes, and fried them up (seasoned with salt pepper and some fresh Rosemary).

The biscuits were left over from a creamy butternut squash, sweet potato and kale soup (tomorrow's post).

They are my ALL TIME favorite biscuits, I make a copy cat recipe for the famous Red Lobster Cheddar and GARLIC Biscuits (the same recipe makes an amazing dumpling... But I digress).  Feel free to double click the blue lettering or the photo below to see the recipe.


But today... It's the GRAVY!


Chicken White Milk GRAVY!


Ingredients
  • 3 TBS Bacon Fat taken from the bottom of the packaging of a Rotisserie Chicken
  • 3 TBS Flour
  • 1/2 Half Medium sized sweet Onion, fine dice
  • Possibly 1 TBS of Butter if needed
  • 1 Cup Whole Milk, divided
  • 1 TBS Fresh herbs (I used Rosemary)
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • Lots and Lots of Pepper (I Like lots of pepper in my milk gravy, please taste and add salt and pepper to your tastes)
  • 1/2 Cup Minced meat from the leg of a Fully Cooked, Fully Seasoned Rotisserie Chicken
Cooking Directions
  1. First, Make Roux... But this time, use the jellied bits that collect at the bottom of a Rotisserie chicken packaging as the fat. In a hot saute pan, add about 3 TBS of the jelly. Once this starts to heat, stir in 3 TBS flour.
  2. Add the onions and continue to stir as the onions begin to clear and cook.
  3. It is possible you will need to add a little butter to the roux if it is not thinning and making a paste that sticks to the onions.
  4. Add half the milk and continue to stir. As the milk heats, the gravy begins to thicken.
  5. Add the Herbs, salt and pepper.
  6. Add the minced chicken
  7. Add remaining milk slowly to desired thickness (some people like a thick gravy (me), some people like a thin gravy).
  8. Pour over anything you like... Potatoes and Biscuits make a pretty heart breakfast!
  9. Serve Hot and ENJOY!

Honestly, with the fresh rosemary, and the abundance of chicken fat, this was the BEST milk gravy I have ever made or eaten.  This is going to be a regular on my breakfast table now and more importantly, a VERY special occasion gravy for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners!

******************************************************

This simple recipe has been added to my growing list of "52 Breakfast Ideas!"

It's the most important meal of the day.  From fancy to simple, there are always ways to dress up a breakfast dish.  These are the meals that make Bed and Breakfast Inns legendary (and usually easier than you think).

Here's your chance to make your guests Ooh and Aah!
******************************************************

This recipe has also been added to my growing list of "52 Uses For a Rotisserie Chicken"  (Now close to 100!)...I am so confused... $5.49 for a fully cooked, fully seasoned Oven Roasted, Rotisserie Chicken. Yet shop in the raw meat department and most raw chickens are at best $8 each and usually far closer to $10. Anyone have an answer??? Me either. So, I can either rail against the machine, or learn to embrace the beauty that is the $5 chicken! In this pin are recipes I have made, and recommend. MORE than 52 (I just can't stop)..
You get the idea.  From Scratch Pizza to Chinese Take Out recipes, Lots of Soups and Chili... Appetizers to Main Courses (Still can't find a dessert, but I am looking).  More than enough ideas for that store nought bird to shine with just a little extra work

***********************PINTEREST*********************

Come and find me on Pinterest... Any of my "52 Ways to cook" Boards are worth following.  If you like this post, please take a second and "Pin" this to your own boards... Better yet, if you are part of a foodie group board please take a second and add this post to your group pins... best way to show your Love!

And BTW, if you are not yet part of a group board, drop me an email at Contact@eRecipeCards.com and request to be added to my group board... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! (be sure to include your pinterest ID when you write)  Once you are added, any pins you add will be seen by 10s of THOUSANDS of followers of the board (and growing daily).

Rules, only 2... 
  1. In order to join you need to start following the group board as well as at least one of my boards.
  2. And you must ONLY pin original sources, posts from food related bloggers only.  If you are a blogger, this is a great way to have thousands of potential readers see your work,  If you are a fan of bloggers, a great way to share your favorites...
    Come and be a part of ... FAVORITE FOOD BLOGGERS! on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

FMP